Recent Videos

  • Rangers 3-2 Manchester City: Late David Weir Goal Seals Win

    The Citizens may have the money, but it was the 'Gers who supplied the quality and the workmanship tonight in Glasgow.

    It was exciting stuff for the home fans tonight as Scottish champions Rangers welcomed the wealthy personnel of Manchester City to Ibrox stadium. Both teams started brightly, each side enjoying equal spells of possession as they felt each other out.

    City were the first to threaten through a deflected Gareth Barry corner, the ball finding the right foot of Steven Ireland who duly struck for goal. Neil Alexander had his weight behind the ball, though, and the danger was averted.

    The visitors began to control the sway as the game unfolded - Barry and Ireland involving themselves further as Robinho began to warm to the occasion.

    Nacho Novo quickly picked himself up after missing an open net, the Spaniard converting from six yards after some clever interplay from Kenny Miller and Lee McColloch.

    Rangers were only allowed to enjoy their lead for ten minutes before Ireland popped up again to capitalise on a skillful move orchestrated by Robinho and Emmanuel Adebayor. The score went to 1-1.

    Adebayor almost made it two just before half time, but a perfectly timed tackle from Sasa Papac made sure the Togolese striker's attempt was snuffed out.

    Gareth Barry and Nigel De Jong made way for Pablo Zabaleta and Martin Petrov at the break - Mark Hughes opting to switch things up a little as he looked to put his side in front.

    Kenny Miller had a chance to put the 'Gers in front, but the baldy Scotsman failed miserably to bury Nacho Novo's cross from five yards, instead sending the ball over the bar.

    Hughes' tinkering soon paid off when Petrov found enough space to gallop towards goal and unleash a strike that left Neil Alexander with no chance.

    Much like Novo, Miller made up for his awful miss when he connected with a beautifully timed, lobbed pass from Steven Davis to perfectly chip Shay Given from 20 yards. The hosts had brought the score back to level pegging.

    An assortment of substitutions from both teams saw the game take a slightly different shape, the new City introductions opting to play a more physical game as their more technically gifted players exited the pitch.

    As the game entered the dying stages, it looked like it would be the Citizens who would snatch a win as Craig Bellamy used his pace to test the ageing legs of 39-year-old David Weir.

    However, as it would turn out, Weir himself, the crafty veteran, managed to deflect the ball into Given's net on the stroke of full time to give the hosts a well fought for win.

    RANGERS: Alexander, Whittaker, Weir, Bougherra, Papac, McCulloch (Niguez 83), Novo (Boyd 57), Mendes (Velicka 71), Davis, Miller (Lafferty 57), Naismith (Fleck 71).

    MAN CITY: Given, Richards, Dunne, Toure, Bridge, Barry (Petrov 45), De Jong (Zabaleta 45), Etuhu, Ireland (Ben-Haim 65), Robinho (Weiss 80), Adebayor (Bellamy 71)



Leave a Reply