Recent Videos

  • Portsmouth 3-2 Hull City: Folan Double

    Late strikes from Nwankwo Kanu and Jamie O'Hara saw Portsmouth edge past Hull City 3-2 at Fratton Park.

    Caleb Folan gave the Tigers the lead after 27 minutes from close range before Tommy Smith levelled for the beleaguered hosts ten minutes later.

    Folan restored the visitors lead with 17 minutes remaining, but two goals in a minute from Kanu and O'Hara sealed an unlikely victory.

    Portsmouth's relegation was all but confirmed by their nine-point deduction for going into administration, and it was the visitors who came closest to opening the scoring in their desperate bid to stay up.

    Kevin Kilbane dinked the ball into the far post after four minutes and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink's looping header hit the woodwork with David James helpless.

    Pompey's Marc Wilson was then just off-target with a free-kick that drifted just outside of Boaz Myhill's post, before Jamie O'Hara tried his luck from distance without testing the Tigers stopper.

    Smith and Nadir Belhadj then came close, but it was Hull who took the lead on 27 minutes.

    Jimmy Bullard had fired two warnings minutes earlier and when Pompey failed to clear a corner, Craig Fagan thumped the ball goalwards and Folan deflected it past James.

    Pompey levelled ten minutes later with an equally scrappy goal.

    Frederic Piquionne missed his near post header following a short corner and as the following Hermann Hreidarsson bundled the ball towards goal, Smith poked it home to send the sides in level at the break.

    Fagan had the first chance of the second period with a run and shot that flew narrowly over James' bar,

    Avram Grant then threw on Kanu in a bid to win the game but it was the Tigers who restored the lead in another scruffy incident.

    Referee Phil Dowd blocked a pass and it was Hull who reacted quickest as Rocha switched off and as an incisive pass played in Folan, he slid the ball home for his second of the match.

    Wilson and Quincy Owusu-Abeyie both wasted superb opportunities from free-kicks on the edge of the area, but when they were handed another opportunity after Bullard's high foot. O'Hara rifled the ball home.

    And Pompey were in dreamland seconds later.

    The hosts won the ball back from the kick off, Belhadj raced down the Hull left and his cutback was stroked home by Kanu.

    Hull were deflated and despite five minutes of stoppage time, it was Pompey who took the three points to put a smile on a desperate week.
    Ian Hare / Eurosport



    Portsmouth: James, Mullins, Rocha, Hreidarsson, Belhadj, Smith, Mokoena, Wilson, O'Hara, Owusu-Abeyie, Piquionne. Subs: Ashdown, Diop, Brown, Finnan, Webber, Kanu, Basinas.

    Hull City: Myhill, Mendy, McShane, Mouyokolo, Dawson, Folan, Marney, Bullard, Kilbane, Fagan, Vennegoor of Hesselink. Subs: Duke, Barmby, Geovanni, Garcia, Cooper, Olofinjana, Cairney.


Leave a Reply